Re: Divide those siberians

On Sat, 20 Jul 1996 ldridlon@waveinter.com wrote:
> I was disheartened to learn through this list that Japanese iris
> should not be replanted in the same spot after dividing.  I have some
> that are not doing as well as they should - short mostly - and those
> are the same ones that I divided last year or the year before.  What
> do others do?
	Linda et al,

	When I purchased my first JI's three years ago from Jody Camille
up here - she gave me a `culture sheet' for JI's which emphasized that
they need to have any virgin soil or amended soil to do their best...

	In Ellen-speak, they use up a lot of the nutrients in the soil
because they demand so much from their environment - they are heavy feeders
- if you fertilize them - I do when I prepare the `environment' but not
after but I think most people do feed them.

	 How do you rotate when most other plants require a
> higher pH?  For instance, I don't think I can put them where the
> daylilies are.  I've added lime to the soil there.

	NOT lime for sure! I was warned by Jody and the book on Japanese
Iris AND Clarence for good measure, I guess :-)

	I know what you mean by having to "work to clear new garden beds"
from the forest! We are doing this back-breaking labor now....we have `re-
claimed' five new spots and they require different cultures and I do just
`stick' plants (not iris or traditional lilies) in desperation after having
bought too much. Heuchera is all over my gardens and ajuga (which is very
short rooted and grows like wild-fire) and I have coreopsis in various
spots and of course lots of annuals and peonies.

	Gone on too long,