Re: Hybridizing NA species / LA foliage

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: Hybridizing NA species / LA foliage
  • From: "J. Steven Brown" <jsbrown@redrose.net>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 15:56:35 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <jsbrown@[204.249.184.2]>

LA foliage is beautiful in areas where the summers are milder. They
begin to get a little cholotic if too dry, but other than that,
they're fine. Virginicas are a little nicer, as are Pseudacorus.
Spraying LA's well with Cygon (which I have been lax about doing, as
I hate the stuff) is important for keeping the borers at bay. I just
found a clump of Voodoo Music with a borer the other day. LA's are
worthless here for winter foliage. They die back to the ground, or
should be cut back to the ground and mulched.

Steve
J. Steven Brown              Mt. Gretna Gardens
                             Iris and Daylilies.
2493 Pinch Road
Manheim, PA 17545-9466
USA                     Internet:jsbrown@redrose.net
(717) 664-4066          Homepage:"http://www.success.net/
  fax 664-5081                                 mggarden/"