Re: Hybridizing native North American species irises

>this species may have potential for interspecific breeding with
>Louisianas,  however, finding clones or seedlings from low elevations would
>probably be difficult.  Low elevations selections would be needed for
>successful growing in deep south climatic conditions.

I have a clone if missouriensis that I got from Frank Jones, the hybridizer
who used to live in NJ and is now in the Soldiers Home here in Wash. D.C.,
that is quite happy here in VA.  Frank said that it had been known to
rebloom, but it has never done so for me.  It seems to tolerate our acidic
heavy clay soil and wet and humid summers quite well.  Although not a
spectacular species, the clump was spectacular this spring with well over 100
bloom stalks.  Clarence Mahan in VA