"Iris showing tips"

Hello to all.  I haven't been posting much lately because I've been rushing
around like the proverbial headless chicken.  But I have been scanning the
mail, and this is in response to Carolyn's request a few days (weeks?!) ago.
 It's just general stuff--I think topics like grooming and transporting
irises are much better demonstrated while talking...

Iris showing "tips"

1.  Be a clerk at as many shows as you can!  You will get to hear all the
judges' discussions, and you will learn what they are looking for  (and
realize sometimes the judging process can be quite subjective!).

2. Read, read, read.  There are quite a number of articles related to showing
in the AIS back bulletins; also tips in regional publications.  Many books on
iris growing also talk about the show and showing.

3. Allow 4 times as much time as you think you need for
everything--selecting, transporting, grooming, etc.--and you will just get
everything done without having to rush, which leads to careless mistakes and
accidents to flowers.  You must be meticulous in every detail.

4. Have a good bit of luck!  And like most other things, practice makes
perfect (or closer to it!)

Dorothy Fingerhood
DFingerhoo@aol.com
Newfield, NY   (Getting some needed rain today)