Divide those Siberians!

Hello all.  It is approaching sale time here, and I have been busily digging
and dividing, digging and dividing, digging and dividing.....

Heavy rain is giving me time to rest a bit inside today, eat aspirin, and
reflect on what I shoulda done differently.

And I gotta say, I shoulda divided that 5 year old clump of MAGGIE SMITH
about 3 years ago...  My garden fork, which faithfully served me for almost
20 years, gave up the Ghost rather suddenly yesterday, propelling me rapidly
across the garden into a clump of FRIENDLY WELCOME, when it encountered ol'
MAGGIE.

I finally managed to dig it all up with a shovel and lots of sweat.  Could
not get it apart, so managed to get it across my shoulder, the whole bushel
basket sized clump of it, and stagger up to the garage, where I dispatched it
into manageable chunks with an axe.  The farmers baling hay across the road
received confirmation of their previous suspicions that some kind of nut
lives here--imagine all that work for something you can't even feed a cow,
for cryin' out loud.

After a trip to the local Central Tractor store to get another garden fork
 (Holy Cow, has anyone checked the price of them lately!?), we were back in
business.   A lesson learned--NEVER let a vigorous Siberian go that long
without division!  Divide it and get it to your local plant sale!

But gee, my new garden fork is pretty spiffy.  And the tines are even all in
the same plane!

Dorothy
DFingerhoo@aol.com
Newfield, NY