Re: Hybridizing native North American species irises

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: Hybridizing native North American species irises
  • From: tlittle@Lanl.GOV (Tom Tadfor Little)
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 08:39:28 -0600

Robert Turley writes

:What about the foliage of Iris missouriensis?  Is it persistent?  If we could
:get the foliage, dare I say, like Iris pseudacorus and the flowers of the
:Louisiana, we would definitely have a native iris hybrid of garden value.

The foliage of Iris missouriensis follows a growth cycle similar to
the Siberians: it looks very nice from early spring to late fall, but
is essentially deciduous in cold-area winters. It is a light blue-gray
color, very narrow. Much more attractive than Louisiana foliage, IMO.

Happy irising, Tom.