Re: 1st Japanese bloomed -finally

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: 1st Japanese bloomed -finally
  • From: "Reesa" <reesa@jersey.net>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 00:43:07 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <reesa@zeus.jersey.net>

 Hi Fran,

> A few weeks ago I was canoeing on the Au Sable River in central
> Michigan and I saw what I thought were Japenese irises growing in
> the water along with cattails and reeds. thought I was dreaming
> because I did not know that irises grew that way. After reading
> WRITER-MUSICIAN-WEB AUTHOR's comments about all his water irises, I
> guess they really were irises. Where can I find out more about
> growing irises in water?

BTW, I'm a woman, not a man (Writer-musician-etc.) My name is actually Reesa. There are
many water irises, and irises that like wet places like on the
banks. In addition to Japanese, a few others are Louisianna,
pseudocorus and many species.

If you're really into irises, they are probably one of the easiest
plants to grow in any conditions. Suggest you check out the American
Iris Society page. Joining is really cheap, and you'll get a
> colorful monthly bulletin plus contact from your local chapter.

In the bulletin, one garden that usually advertises is Laurie's
Garden. She hybridizes many water and species iris. If you want
really nice ones with big, colorful blooms, you'll want to get
modern hybrids, rather than whatever you find at a local garden
center. The selections in water irises there are usually poor.

   ~ ~	   	WRITER-MUSICIAN-WEB AUTHOR
  `O O^       	reesa@jersey.net
   < 		www.jersey.net/~reesa
   ^^		www.netstreet.com/mr_charlie.html