Re: Hybridizing native North American species irises

Tom:

You presented an interesting thought.  The Louisianas have very beautiful
flowers, but the foliage is the pits.  I would like to introduce a species
into the Louisianas that has persistent foliage throughout the growing
season.

What about the foliage of Iris missouriensis?  Is it persistent?  If we could
get the foliage, dare I say, like Iris pseudacorus and the flowers of the
Louisiana, we would definitely have a native iris hybrid of garden value.

Robert Turley
LaBelle, FL