Re: Iris Verna

At 11:59 AM 7/18/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Donnald asked:
>> Iris verna ...Has it ever featured in breeding programs of any hybrid
>> irises? Is anyone in the "Iris World" concentrating on breeding
>programs > with  other native North American species irises?
some deleted...
>As for I. verna in particular, Don Jacobs in Decator Georga reported in
>SIGNA (the species iris group newsletter) last fall (Vol. 55) that he has
>selected several forms and feels he has enough to begin a planned
>breeding program.
>A couple more comments on I. verna.  It is not considered a creasted iris
>(no crest!) but is classified as the only member of the series Vernae.
>Although it doesn't have a beard, it's flower form is much like a bearded
>iris.  It is also fragrant.
>Rodney whose I. verna recently lost a two year battle with the Texas
>weather without having bloomed :+(.

I have Iris verna from two different sources with the hope of using it
because of its elegance and small size (perfect for a rock garden!), but
mine have never set seed.  Others I know have had the same experience.  Does
anyone know any tricks here?  Do they naturally have a low fertility as I
have always heard?  I have seen carpets of them in the wild, so this does
not make sense to me.  In some years mine have failed to bloom, but have
come back heavy with flowers in subsequent years.  Maybe they like to take a
vacation or timeout or such.  One that I had in a trough planter
"reappeared" after I thought it was gone, so don't give up, Rodney, unless
you are sure that nothing is left.  With our summer drought, I have learned
that they need absolutely faithful watering and do best in rich soil.  As
extra insurance I also potted up a few starts and put them on my back porch.
These have been reliable bloomers and that makes me wonder if something
munches on them in the open.

Welcome back from Alaska, Sharon!  I have been gone lots lately myself and
am heading for Lisbon where our son decided to celebrate his marriage.  If I
see ONE iris or even a fan or seed pod, you all will hear about it!  My
biggest excitement lately was that some spurias planted eons ago finally
bloomed late.  Some were muddy blah colors, but I got some nice deep colored
ones too.
Cheerio, Louise
Louise H. Parsons  <parsont@peak.org>
Corvallis, OR  USA
USDA zone 7 , Emerald NARGS, AIS, SIGNA, SPCNI, transplanted Oregrowian