bio Linda Ridlon

Hi - I've owed the list a bio for some time now.  I'm still getting
the hang of E-mail.  I'll see if I can send this BEFORE I delete it
this time.

My name is Linda Ridlon and I live and garden in a small town in
southern Maine called North Berwick.  I think I'm borderline zones
4/5.  We built our house in the woods and although we've cut a number
of trees, the soil is very poor, rocky and full of tree roots so every
garden built has required hard labor.

I joined the Maine Iris Society around 1990 and the AIS sometime
after.  I had gardened for some time but once I joined the MIS I was
exposed to many wonderful plants and had new opportunities to acquire
them at our auctions and sales.  I got the fever!  I now have a couple
dozen SDB's, 30 plus TB's, around 30 Siberians and 15 Japanese Iris.
I recently decided to try IB's and MTB's and have about 10 downstairs
to be planted.  A also have about 65 varieties of Hosta, about 65
daylilies and various other perennials.

In addition to the MIS and AIS, I belong to the Society for Japanese
Irises, the Society for Siberian Irises, The Maine Hosta Society and
the American Hosta Society.

I've attended 2 conventions - AIS in York, PA in 1995 and the MASS
Medley in 1996.  I came home from Massachusetts lusting after peonies
and kalmia (mountain laurel) after seeing many there especially in
Schafer/Sacks garden.  Let's see, we have 3 more trees marked to be
cut.  We have plenty of room - about 35 acres - but the soil is so
darn poor - not to mention the time factor.  A busy job keeps me
pretty much a weekend gardener.

I've enjoyed reading the list - what a wealth of knowledge right at
our fingertips!  I will look forward to participating more often.