Most impressive JI in gardens in Maine??? HUMMMMMM

I can't stop thinking about some almost-reds in Currier McEwen's seedlings
A 6 fall seedling that bloomed down into the foliage, but totally spectacular
color.  I tied a blue plastic ribbon on that.
	A (I think) 3 fall "red" with white border and some busy-ness in the
standards.  I mean, there are no non-cliche words to describe it.
	I think Currier is working with fringes on the standards, etc. extra
petaloids.. and clarity of color.
	Purple Plus, an introduced purple is (fillintheblank).

	That white-bordered "red" is going to be introduced, I think, and my
notes are not here --

	Personally, I could forgo the lobster and clams ( a might hard choi

choice (server skipped out here, it's back, I think)

I could -- now that I've had time to think, I want BOTH!!!! LOBSTER,CLAMS
AND to eat those JI's.  Not only is Currier and his wife absolutely wonderful
folks (adding to the list of National/international treasures) his program
has got to be the most carefully studied, carefully tended.

	John White's seedlings were under water!!  But what we could see of
them, there were tuns and tuns of great blues and purples and doubles and
6+ falls with busy centers and clarity.
	I am personally getting really really tired of veins and splotches
and glitz and glamour.  We found wonderful substance on many, some crepe-paper
from the rain on others.  The white JI's tended to melt like brown sugar.
But in Currier's gardens, by afternoon, many buds had popped.

Clarence, Currier gave a lesson in making the crossing.  You will know what
I mean. He deomonstrated his technique with utmost patience.  Carries his
pollen in a tiny address book. Every move, every sentence is just CLASSIC!!

I can't begin to be coherent about these new JI's nor about this trip --
It was truely a life changing experience.

John White and Currier McEwen give out such HOPE!!  Both are way beyond
Senior Citizen, yet are out there, constantly smiling, working like mad.
And Evelyn and Elizabeth were both smiling and extremely happy and supportive.
And strong in their own right(s) --

more later on this Main Chance -- and it was the mainest chance -

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY, darn it