Re: Genetic Susceptibility to Rot

Sharon asked...

>Next question for the opinion poll:  how distant must the relationship be,
>for >a cross to be considered an "outcross"?

Some TB lines are now traceable to 21 generations. We are looking at
(possibly!) 2 million ancestors. As there exist orders of magnitude less
than that number of actual ancestors, it is (theoretically) not possible to
achieve an outcross in TBs. 8-)

Certainly if we cross back to one of the foundation stocks used to
establish tetraploid TB lines, we will be outcrossing to an ancestor which
constitutes roughly 10 to 30 percent of any given TB.

Mike Lowe, mikelowe@tricities.net Virginia