Re: NEW IRIS, WINNERS

Kathy wrote:
> ...Isn't that their whole reason for existing, to propagate themselves?  Or is
> blooming less important to irises because they use the rhizome to propagate?
> I have a number of irises in my new yard which put up plenty of nice green
> leaves this year but had no flowers at all.

Kathy, 1. Never a dumb question, 2. You have it right.  Since the iris
is a rhizome (or root to some people) I can grow and survive without
blooming.  I would think that if it didn't bloom over a long period of
time, it would become week and pass away!!??!! Maybe not.  The awful
winter you had could have been part of your problem.  Also if they need
to be divided.

> > P.S.  I've been lurking on this list for a couple of weeks now, and I've
> already learned SO MUCH!!    "Glad to see you bloom"  ;-)

I'll be posting soon to introduce myself, and ask
> for advice for my first home and garden, with soon-to-be new iris bed!!

Are you a member of AIS and/or do you know Wendy Roller of Rochester?
She can help you on your iris beds, along with the people who live close
to you.
Happy Summer,

Dennis (The roaster)