Re: Rot-Prone Varieties

> That is, I make crosses with it while I evaluate its growth
>habits under adverse conditions.  NO PAMPERING!  Some varieties are
>spectacular
>if transplanted every year, but rot if left in place for two or three years.

I can hardly wait to see the effects of this year's weather on future
introductions by Schreiners and other major hybridizers.  Cooley's newsletter
that came last week says they are using nature's screening test to eliminate
their weaker varieties.

However, it would be a shame to discontinue all inbred, weak lines that have
extraordinary flower colors/patterns just because they won't grow everywhere.
 I enjoy looking at the pictures, and eventually someone will be able to do
some wide crosses to introduce better durability.