On Mon, 15 Jul 1996 10:36:39 -0600 (MDT) CEMahan@aol.com writes:
>Come on you all....what were the top place winners at the Maine Show?
>what Japanese irises were most impressive in the gardens?  Suffering
>lack of information in Virginia, Clarence Mahan
7/15/96     5:01 P.M.

The Maine Iris Society's JI Show was certainly very successful. The
judges did a superb job in selecting the irises worthy of awards. Paul
Dostie of Greene, Maine won Queen of Show with his stalk of DAPPLED
DRAGON. Warren and Marie Hazelton had the first runnerup to the queen
with CRYSTAL HALO. I can't remember who had second runnerup. Paul Dostie
had third runnerup, but no one here can remember what the iris was (all
the show records are at the Hazeltons). John and Evelyn White had the
fourth runnerup with ASHI-NO-YUKI. Andy Wheeler, a 17-year old youth
from Colrain, Massachusetts, had the best seedling. Kathy Marble of
Harvard, Massachusetts had the Best Arrangement of the Show and also won
the Artistic Sweepstakes. Evelyn White earned two blue ribbons in this
same division, and Warren Hazelton won one blue ribbon. John White had
two JI seedlings that were awarded blue ribbons. The Whites were awarded
the Silver Medal and Andy Wheeler earned the Bronze Medal.

Hal Stahly, Bob Bauer, John Coble, and Kathy Guest were the judges (hope
I haven't left someone out). This team did an outstanding job, and
everyone was pleased with their work.

These are some of the highlights, Clarence. I may have a few more details
that I can report later, and Kathy Guest probably will have much to tell
about her impressions of the show.

We actually had three plant societies participating in this show: The
Maine Iris Society, the Maine Hosta Society, and the Bonsai Society of
Maine. This really made for a beautiful show.

That's about it from here.

Ted White
Minot, Maine
USDA Zone 5