Rot-Prone Varieties

Clarence Mahan wrote:

:  Could not resist putting in 2 cents into this discussion.  Certainly some
:  lines are notoriously producers of irises that are susceptible to rot in the
:  East. But there are also certain irises that are like alarm signals when I
:  see them in a pedigree

This is certainly a valid point and I, too, examine pedigrees for warning flags.
But I must be an incurable optimist because if a variety has a pattern, color,
or form that I particularly want I'll go ahead and give it a chance in spite of
the warning flag.  That is, I make crosses with it while I evaluate its growth
habits under adverse conditions.  NO PAMPERING!  Some varieties are spectacular
if transplanted every year, but rot if left in place for two or three years.
Their genes do not make their way into my lines!

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)