Iris verna, what is it?

I was in Kennesaw, GA (near Atlanta) this weekend and I got itchy green
thumbs after driving by a little mom and pop, perennial and shrub nursery. I
returned later Saturday afternoon and quickly scanned their selection for
any available irises. I finally purchase a LA named DIXIE DEB and a small
species iris which they had labeled Iris verna.

Does anyone have a description of this species (Iris verna)?  Is it hardy in
my Zone (7B-8)?  The sign above it at the nursery indicated that it is a
"deciduous" iris.  I take that to mean that it dies back to ground in the
winter.  This iris appears to be a vigorous grower a little taller than I.
cristata.  Please tell me if I've bought junk or not.

Donald Mosser
North Augusta, SC