Hybridizing native North American species irises

Thanks guys, for the Iris verna descriptions and info.  I figured a question
using the phrase "junk" would rapidly incite someone into a giving a
response on the list. I like to grow native species of plants when possible
and this little plant has very attractive foliage in my opinion. Has it ever
featured in breeding programs of any hybrid irises?

A more general question: LA irises appear to demonstrate how a native North
American species can be developed into a beautiful, garden plant with large
variety in color and form.  Is anyone in the "Iris World" concentrating on
breeding programs with other native North American species irises?

P.S. Tom D., did you get my last email reply on those Louisianas?

Donald Mosser
North Augusta, SC