Re: making more rhizomes, auxins

>Linda Mann wrote:
>>.... This sort of thing works for other plants which have a 'mother' bulb,
>so it
>> seems like it ought to work.  Get those auxins moving.
>> Thanks Linda, please give more info!  Which other plants, and pardon my
>ignorance, what are auxins?

Uh oh.  Now I am in over my head again.  Auxins are plant 'hormones' - they
do things like cause plants to make adventitious buds (buds that wouldn't
have been there normally - like sprouts from the base of a tree that's been
cut down).  I have heard that injuring the storage organ (bulb, corm, tuber)
of plants can cause them to produce auxins that trigger the formation of buds
for new growth at or near the site of the injury.  Seems like the response is
to produce a lot of small new starts.  Seems like iris rhizomes ought to do
the same, if they don't get overwhelmed by rot bacteria.

Help!  Those of you who know more about plant physiology, is this more or
less right?