Re: ROT!!!, no bloom, weak iris

>I think a discussion of what makes some iris weaker than others - would
>be very, very valuable!  Why they won't bloom  - even under ideal
>situations, wuld be another.

The archives of the list have a lot of discussion about which iris are weaker
than others and what growing conditions make them not bloom (some of it is
under the 'rot' topic), but we never really had much discussion of what it is
about certain varieties that makes them, for instance, be more vulnerable to
temperature extremes or disease organisms.

Does it have to do with physical characteristics?  Or is it how the plant
responds to damage?  Maybe that's something that isn't known for iris.

Steve said - >If each of, say, 10
>people is willing to contribute some effort towards this each year,
>tb's may be made into a more desirable perennial plant, as they used
>to be. I suspect there has been too much inbreeding, but that's just
>a hypothesis. What would be nice would be to sponser a molecular
>marker screen of tb germplasm, and assess the genetic variability

Sounds expensive.  Are you talking about backyard gardeners?  Explain more.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east Tenn USA