Re: ROT!!!

Dennis Stoneburner wrote:
> I found this tip in the stacks of mail I receive.  Any thoughts?
> TIP: To help prevent rot and to force the daughters (increases) to grow
> you should cut the mother (rhizome) right down the middle after the
> bloom stalk has dried.

Chris writes:
And leave it in the ground? This sounds like an interesting
idea/practice... has anyone actually tried it out?
The science in me asks; why would it cause the increases to grow
any more quickly or vigorously than normal? I would think the opposite
would be true.
Incidentally after the flowering is complete on the TB's I snap the
bloomstalk off, right down at the rhizome. With a little practice it is
quite easy to do snap them off very cleanly. This helps avoid rot in the
old mother rhizome.

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS Region 16