Re: ROT!!!

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: ROT!!!
  • From: "J. Steven Brown" <jsbrown@redrose.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 14:32:55 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <jsbrown@[]>

Speaking of rot, I decided to pull the clover out of the raised beds
in which I grow the few tall bearded I have. Among a few other,
Breakers had rotted. We need to have a cooperative reciprocal
recurrent selection program for tb's, if they are to survive, and
cross some hardiness in from older varieties. I once planned such a
program as a potential grad project, but it didn't come about. If
anyone's interested, I'd be glad to discuss this. If each of, say, 10
people is willing to contribute some effort towards this each year,
tb's may be made into a more desirable perennial plant, as they used
to be. I suspect there has been too much inbreeding, but that's just
a hypothesis. What would be nice would be to sponser a molecular
marker screen of tb germplasm, and assess the genetic variability
quantitatively. This is the kind of thing I used to do in corn. The
software is easy to get.

Steve Brown
J. Steven Brown              Mt. Gretna Gardens
                             Iris and Daylilies.
2493 Pinch Road
Manheim, PA 17545-9466
USA                     Internet:jsbrown@redrose.net
(717) 664-4066          Homepage:"http://www.success.net/
  fax 664-5081                                 mggarden/"