Re: Mushroom compost
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Mushroom compost
- From: "J. Steven Brown" <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 14:32:55 +0000
- Comments: Authenticated sender is <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Priority: normal
Linda and others,
we have a lot of mushroom soil, as it's called here in PA, and it's
great for non-beardeds, but usually high in nitrogen for about a
year, so keep it off of tb's. I saw an older Mennonite lady mulch an
older cultivar of tb's with it and cause them to rot.
Always check the pH before using it. I got a tractor-trailor load
last year, and the pH was very low, about 4.5. Some people lime it
heavily before delivering it. Larry Westfall told me he used it once
on Japs, they declined, and he checked the pH-it was about 8.0, as it
had been over limed.
J. Steven Brown Mt. Gretna Gardens
Iris and Daylilies.
2493 Pinch Road
Manheim, PA 17545-9466
(717) 664-4066 Homepage:"http://www.success.net/
fax 664-5081 mggarden/"