5-10-5 vs. 5-10-10

Patty Forster wrote:

:   The shipper mentioned adding
:   5-l0-5, but I am having trouble locating this.
:   5-l0-l0 is the closest I can get.

It depends on your local soils, of course.  Here, I actually prefer to use the
5-10-10.  It produces stronger rhizomes that are less apt to bloom out -- and
bloom out is a real problem with TBs.

There's a lot of controversy about using manures, but I think it comes down to
how much nitrogen is already in the soil.  In a high-nitrogen soil, a dose of
high-nitrogen manure does little good and can do a lot of harm.  In low-nitrogen
soils,  horse manure is the most effective amendment I've found.

If your soil is already high nitrogen, you might consider adding just
superphosphate, instead of continuing to search for the balanced fertilizer.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
In Stormy Southern New Mexico