Re: NEW IRIS, WINNERS

Hello all and welcome to the new members,

Thanks Ellen G for your kind words of encouragement.  You've convinced to
plod ion trying Sibs and JIs.

Joy, joy, joy.  Yesterday I received the first of my TBs orders.  This is
always a treat because I am a lousy orderer and I don't always make a good
list of what I order or else I lose it so by the time I get the order it's a
mystery.  Like getting a present! :-)

I got my AIS journal and haven't read it all but it looks different and I
like the tone of what I've read so far.  Also got my Sympoosium ballot and
have to admit I'm intimidated.  I grow only a fraction of those listed so
voting is an iffy proposition for me.

Now that the TB season is over for me I decided to list my own winners. The
only plants eligible were those planted as new rhizomes last year.
Cultivars i have as 2nd year or older didn't count.

And the winner is:

Most incredibly robust multiplier that didn't bloom:  BREAKERS  (It's gonna
be spectacular next year!)

Prettiest: CAJUN BEAUTY  (very subjective.If you don't like it vote for your
own :-) )

Best branching: GYPSY WOMAN

Best looking show type stalk:  tie RAVENS ROOST and GYPSY WOMAN

Most incrediably beautiful: (different from pretty)  EDITH WOLFORD

Best pink: I had 4 bloom and didn't like any of them very much so I'll be a
poor sport on this category

Most anticipated bloom which I snapped off while weeding and so have to wait
til next year:  PRINCESS KISS

Best hanging-on-by-the-skin-of-its-teeth-because-most-rotted:  MAGIC HOPE
(I moved the remaining little twig today to sandy soil.)

Only one to rot completely so it's dead:  CHERRY SMOKE

Only one to snap off in a rainstorm so we brought it into the house:
RUFFLED BALLET

Biggest one that has shown no signs whatsoever of rot:  BREAKERS

Well  you get the picture.  I've had to be incredible vigilant about rot in
one bed.  The soil is heavy there and We've had a lot of rain, so I check
them pretty much every day or so and have managed to control it.  Another
bed, on sandier soil has shown no rot whatsoever, so I will be doing plant
musical chairs in the future.  This bed is where my more established iris are.

Happy gardening.

Lee DeJongh in Rhinelander, WI