re: ROT

Chris writes: Received this following e-mail privately, I think that it
was meant for the whole iris list.

The following posting from: Donna Grossruck <dogrossr@bbs.cresnet.org>

Hello from the (used to be) cool Puget Sound area, State of Washington.
I wanted to respond to this, as everything I have read about dividion of
the rhizomes says noting about this practise.  Also - they tell us to
cut
the stalks off after they bloom.  There is more confusion, that I hope
some of you "masters" can answer:

1.  Do you cut the fans down while green, or wait till brown?

2.  I have cut mine in the several years I have been growing them - as
they are unsightly, BUT THEY ALL CAME BACK BEFORE WINTER.
sOMEONE ELSE WROTE SOMEWHERE TO CUT THEM AGAIN!

3.Which is correct.  Does the dying back process feed the rhizome - such
as tulips and daffodills do?

4.  Rot is a problem here - when it rains - which it usually does.  Even
planting them high on a mound sometimes does not save them, as the earth
settles and down they go, into a pool.

I am very greatful for this E-Mail.  I have wondered why in the world
E-Mail addresses were not published in the latest bulletin - and then I
remembered, NO ONE ASKED FOR THEM.

iT IS ALMOST 90 HERE - AND HAS BEEN HOT FOR TEN DAYS OR MORE.  iN THE
SPRING, WHEN WE NEEDED THE SON TO BOOST THE IRIS INTO BLOOM - ALL WE HAD
WAS RAIN!  i HAD SOME OF THE MOST GORGEOUS GREEN STRONG LEAVES, AND
ABSOLUTELY VERY FEW BLOOMS.

wRITE WHEN YOU CAN.  tHANKS.....dONNA