Re: Cleo Palmer

RMTURLEY@aol.com wrote:

> Dennis:
>
> << The gentleman who introduced "ToF" and other recent intros, passed away
>  recently.  Mr. Cleo Palmer will be missed. >>
>
> Could you give us a biographic synopsis of Mr. Cleo Palmer?  I enjoy reading
> about distinguished personalities in horticulture.
>
> Robert Turley

Cleo Palmer - 1927-1996
He was a gentleman, a kind man who never engaged in idle conversation.
He was a private person. He was very active in Region 22 and the Sooner
State Iris Society. He attended most functions and seldom came without a
sack of garden treasures.  He enjoyed Asiatic & Calla Lilies, species
irises, Gladioli, and seedling trees from his Goldenrain tree.
Cleo farmed near Geary OK and had a commercial garden, where he engaged
into hybridizing.  Most of his work was done in SDB and Medians, but
also TB and Arils.  First introduction was an SDB - CANARY PRINCE.
Two famous intros were TWIST OF FATE and SEA PATROL.
Some awards include - Sass Medal for SEA PATROL; SNOW FESTIVAL - 1980
International Comp. Vienna Austria; MINDNIGHT INTRUDER - International
Comp. 1988; Vienna Austria.  Several AM's and HM's.
TWIST OF FATE won the President's Cup at the 1980 AIS National Conv. -
Tulsa OK.
(Most of the info came from the Region 22 Newsletter, July 1996 by
Loretta Aaron.)

Regards,  Dennis