JI's & Hard water

Hi all,

I've been reading postings on this list for a while, and really want to
thank you all for the free education!  And what a great bunch of people.
I'm a neophyte iris grower, but have been gardening for many years.  I
avoided irises because of early experiences with rotten TB's.  What didn't
rot got leaf spot, spoiled the look of the garden in the summer and bloomed
for such a short period they hardly seemed worth it.  You've all made me
start to re-think not growing them.

Anyway, last year I began to acquire a collection of Siberians and JI's.
They're planted in a bed where the soil is 50% peat moss (and clay loam),
and floods for a few hours whenever we have a downpour.  August here is
often very dry, so I'm concerned about watering with my well water: PH 7.5.

When I add a few ounces of aluminum sulfate to a 3 gal. pail of water
I notice a white precipitate.  Is this a bad idea?  Or, what would
be an appropriate way to treat the water?

Is it a good idea to use water soluble acid fertilizer (miracid) on new
(potted & root bound) JI's with hard water? The thought is to use it at
1/4 strength for a few weeks or a month.

Dennis Mathiasen
Zone 4b Central NY where a few siberians are still going strong, and the
JI's unbelievable!