AIS :Business" & Iris-L

A recent posting stated:

>I'm not an AIS member.  I am very glad that this list is open
>to all to discuss irises, and am extremely tolerant of AIS-related
>postings which are "club business," though they do not directly
>apply to me.  So I don't have an AIS bulletin to look up suppliers.

     I really  take a personal offense to these kind of remarks.   AIS MEMBERS
STARTED THIS LIST, SUPPORT IT, AND PAID FOR ITS UPKEEP! ! !   As the person who
fronted the initial expense for the list becoming a reality I feel I have a
right to speak up.

    AIS greatly appreciates those of you for being "extremely tolerant" of our
AIS-related postings - even if they are "club business" they still have to do
with irises.  The facts are clear:  AIS=Irises.  If you want to talk about
irises, then you need to talk about AIS.  Yes, the list is open to all to
discuss irises, but   these lists do not "just" spring up gratis.  They are
formed by individuals interested in a particular type of plant - most of whom
belong to a society which promotes the culture of that plant  I don't think
you'll find the knowledge, expertise and info found in the general gardening
lists that you will find in lists dedicated to a specific plant type.   AIS was
the glue that got this list started in the first place.  When AIS was not in a
financial position to support the Iris-L, then several of its members assumed
the responsibility.

     If I am interested in bonsai and  want to learn more about bonsai -  I join
a bonsai group.  That group has a common and specific knowledge of bonsai and is
better able to answer
my questions and provide solutions concerning bonsai. The same goes for irises.
If you
have more than a passing interest in something then you are doing yourself and
others a great disservice by not participating in that groups organization.  You
are missing meeting
other interesting people, sharing information thru bulletins, trading and
working together for a common cause, and supporting the organization that
carries the banner for your interest.

    Yes, there has to be "club business" in any group in order to get things
done.  But that is
one of the prices we have to pay in any social organization.  It's these groups
of people that bring in guest speakers, organize shows, conventions, garden
tours, etc. - NOT one individual person!  It's these groups of people that come
together to write articles for bulletins, collect lists of garden favorites,
makes lists of iris suppliers.  This is not just in
AIS - it's in all organizations.  You are really missing out by not being a
member of any
society that promotes a plant that you enjoy growing.     Now ask yourself this
question:
"Who answers most of the questions asked on this list?"  You may not know most
of the AIS members on this list, but I do, and it's mostly them sharing their
knowledge, successes, and failures.

     I grew irises for several years before joining AIS.  It was only after I
joined that I started kicking myself for not joining years earlier.  I missed
out learning so much more and missed out meeting others with the same interest.
It's really hard for me to put into words all of the "fun" and enjoyment I've
had since becoming a member of AIS.  It is so much more fun to grow and share
this lovely plant with others.  AND after attending my first AIS Convention - I
felt like I'd died and gone to heaven.   With that I'll stop and climb down off
the soapbox.

Bill Smoot      73210-1725@compuserve.com