Vigor & bloom on JIs

At 07:03 AM 7/10/96 -0600, Carolyn Schaffner wrote:
>Do you have a good percentage of blooms relative to foliage??
Of my dozen JI clumps 5 are about 10 fans.  These I left only 2 scapes
each, trying for increase.  Of the rest with 20-30 fans about half have
maybe 10 scapes with 3 buds, one flower.  The rest are so covered with
huge blooms that from up the hill the foliage is barely visible!

All were planted early last spring and had 3-5 fans.  The difference in
growth rate is puzzling, I suppose due mostly to variety.  Those with
the most refined flowers seem to be less vigorous.  Is so much variation

Dennis Mathiasen
Zone 4b Central NY