Re: AIS "Business" & Iris-L

Bill Smoot recently posted on the importance of AIS in iris matters
generally and in this list in particular. Bill, as the primary
financial benefactor of this list, is certainly welcome to comment
on this subject.

However, I must hasten to add that although AIS members helped create
this list, the AIS an organization did not. There was no financial
backing, no official approval, and no administrative involvement or
conditions. It is partly for this reason that this list (unlike those
for some other plant groups) is open to everyone, AIS member or not.

Amy's original remarks, as I recall, were in response to a comment
that certain information need not be posted to the list because it
is printed in the AIS Bulletin. She was correct in pointing out that
we cannot assume every list subscriber has access to the Bulletin.

Those of us who are AIS members recognize the benefits the organization
provides, not only to each of us individually, but to the promotion,
study, and development of irises. Yet membership in AIS is a personal
choice, and I do not agree with Bill that AIS=irises. And this list
is about irises, not about AIS. (Not that I regard postings about the
AIS as "off-topic"; they are clearly relevant and related to the subject
of our discussion.)

As Bill points out, the expertise and knowledge that is exhibited here
is made possible (indirectly) by the American Iris Society; without it,
very few us could become iris experts--and there would be a lot less "iris"
for us to be experts about!

Yet those of us who are AIS members should *not* treat this list as an
organ of the AIS or as an AIS-sponsored activity. It is neither.