Re: AIS :Business" & Iris-L

I am the full-time software engineer working mother of a 3.5 year
old.  The *one* organization I *can* belong to is a performing
chorus here in town, and even them I'm stretching it thin.  My
other hobby is my garden, which I am sure you all know takes
many, many hours of upkeep.

I literally do not have the time to read all the snail mail,
catalogs, magazines, etc. that I receive now.  I do not have the
time to go to meetings, either, MOSTLY because I work and have
a young daughter.  It's not the $18 I begrudge:  it's the time.
I could NEVER volunteer or even really keep up with a club --
I know, because the chorus I belong to requires volunteering,
though I am usually waived of that duty because of my other
responsibilities.  I'd be more than happy to "buy" my way
out of such responsibilities -- I have more money than time
because of my career and my daughter.

I *have* been an active participant in Internet news groups
and mailing lists since 1990.  I am especially active on misc.kids
and our local austin.* hierarchy, where I have contributed an
armload in information and opinions :-) -- a web search will turn
up my name in many areas.  For years and years, the Internet *was*
"free" and mailing lists were "free" and everyone gave the information
they could or wanted to, and in return received the same from others.
Money did not ever enter the picture.  Now that the Internet has
been largely privatized, I am well aware of the need to support
it financially.  I don't shirk that duty, and if there were a charge
for this list, I'd pay it.

I am also aware that I'm missing out on the study of iris and
the pleasure of the company of the many fine people that grow them,
by not joining AIS.  But I'm also missing out in about a billion
other ways, too.  That's the price I pay with an engineering
career AND parenthood AND gardening.  That's my whole life, with
the chorus shoved in the side!

I am glad I can read about irises in this forum, because it's
the fastest, most easily accessible one, and I can take it at
my own pace.  I will be glad to contribute my experiences; I
have only been growing beardeds for less than a year, though
I have about 90 different cvs, and I have recently planted
I. setosa; I've also grown the Dutch iris and I. reticulata.
I intend to beef up my orders of bearded this fall; I do
not have the time to try La's, Sib's, etc. because of our hostile
climate for these types.

I guess this can count as my "bonus bio" post though I don't
want it archived as such!  I just wanted to set the record
straight, and not come off as a flippant ingrate.
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@mpd.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
Jill O. *Trades
Mistress O. {}