Re: Iris handling

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996 19:40:30 -0600 (MDT) Dennis Stoneburner
<drstone@roanoke.infi.net> writes:
>Lee DeJongh wrote:
>..I planted 50 TB's last year from Schreiners and Cooleys...
>
>Dennis comments:
>My experience with Schreiners and Cooleys is that by far, they send
>rhizomes, that in a time of famine, could be used for baking potatoes.
>As a result, 1. I try to have them sent as early in the season as
>possible, and 2. I hang them upside down from a clothes line or a wire
>
>fence for at least a week or two, to bake in the sun( potatoes - bake,
>
>get it?) really, so all the excess water can seep out.  Since I have
>done that, no iris from them has rotted the 1st year.  My first
>shipment, I lost 2/3 to rot (oh the smell)  Well, live and learn.
>It's another reason for not over fertilizing your TB's.
>Happy planting
>Dennis ( it's raining, and the rebloomers are happy)
>drstone@roanoke.infi.net
>

>7/9/96       8:45 A.M.

Dennis,

When I visited Schreiner's in 1994, a friend of mine spoke with David
Schreiner about their iris culture. David indicated that in the fall
when the display garden is completed dug, they replenish the soil with
liberal amounts of horse manure, composted mushroom manure, and
composted straw. Then, they replant all the rhizomes. In the spring of
the following year, they fertilize with a high nitrogen fertilizer.
David neglected to say exactly what level of nitrogren was applied in
the spring; however, my friend located a shed not far removed from the
display garden that contained enormous quantities of 24-0-0 fertilizer.
With nitrogen being represented by the first number, I'll let you draw
your own conclusions about the amount of nitrogen being applied to the
irises at Schreiner's Gardens. One interesting note: Despite all of
these soil amendments and additives, I failed to find any evidence of
rot throughout their display garden.

Ted White         Minot, Maine         USDA Zone 5        AIS Region 1