Re: Iris handling

Ted White wrote:

....contained enormous quantities of 24-0-0 fertilizer.
> With nitrogen being represented by the first number, I'll let you draw
> your own conclusions about the amount of nitrogen being applied to the
> irises at Schreiner's Gardens. One interesting note: Despite all of
> these soil amendments and additives, I failed to find any evidence of
> rot throughout their display garden.
> Dennis replies,
Verrrrrry interesting.  I thought that was the case.  As far as not
having any rot, the growing conditions in the Pacific NW are much
different that here in the east, not only the weather, but the soil.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying what Schreiners and Cooleys are
doing is wrong.  Let's face it, when you open the box of irises you want
to see healthy plants. (Bigger is Better?)  Many of the growers in
Region 4 have used the clothes line method with high degree of success.

Thx Ted for the info. :-)
Dennis
drstone@roanoke.infi.net