Re: Digging bearded iris

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996 18:57:32 -0600 (MDT) Donald Mosser
<dmosser@southconn.com> writes:.
>Here's my question: How long can bearded irises remain out of the
>after digging before there are adverse effects?  Assuming cool(~75
>F, this is cool in the Southern U. S. summers!), dry, indoor storage

7/8/96     9:16 A.M.

I routinely let new shipments of tall bearded irises air dry in a cool
location for up to two weeks. I find I get improved winter hardiness and
less rot the first winter after planting. This is particularly true of
irises that I receive from the Pacific Northwest i.e. Schreiner's
Gardens, Keith Keppel, etc.

Ted White
Minot, Maine
USDA Zone 5