Re: Irises for northern MN

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Amy Rupp wrote:

> What if we, in Zone 8b, want to try out some mail ordered Iris
> from zone 3 (Siberia :)

	OK - first of all, Zone 3 is not Siberia anymore than Texas is

	1. Take AIS bulletin
	2. Open
	3. Turn the pages until you reach the suppliers' ads
	4. Read the ads
	5. When you see one that sees "hardy in Northern climates" or
	   some such thing
	6. Copy down address
	7. Write to the supplier and ask what USDA Zone they are in
	The two from Montana, Mountain View Gardens in Columbia Falls and
	Sourdough Iris Gardens in Bozeman are in Zone 3.

	There are probably others but I can't say for sure. The supplier
	is North Dakota is probably Zone 3 and others as well.

	Uh, Amy, I was not trying to be noble at keeping the list un-
	cluttered with useless information.....I was seriously trying to
	be helpful to Kim.

	I said, " I would be glad to correspond with ANYONE about gardening
	in Zone 3". That is a direct quote.

	Ellen Gallagher   e_galla@moose.ncia.net     Zone 3