Iris handling

Lee DeJongh wrote:
..I planted 50 TB's last year from Schreiners and Cooleys...

Dennis comments:
My experience with Schreiners and Cooleys is that by far, they send
rhizomes, that in a time of famine, could be used for baking potatoes.
As a result, 1. I try to have them sent as early in the season as
possible, and 2. I hang them upside down from a clothes line or a wire
fence for at least a week or two, to bake in the sun( potatoes - bake,
get it?) really, so all the excess water can seep out.  Since I have
done that, no iris from them has rotted the 1st year.  My first
shipment, I lost 2/3 to rot (oh the smell)  Well, live and learn.
It's another reason for not over fertilizing your TB's.
Happy planting
Dennis ( it's raining, and the rebloomers are happy)
drstone@roanoke.infi.net