Labeling Test for Bearded Iris

I didn't have any old mini-blinds so I had to get creative.  I'm testing a
new bearded iris labeling material - flat oyster shell halves! I'm not sure
they could hold up to Northern U.S. freezing and thawing, but they look
fairly attractive and are cheaper than metal tags, if you live near the
beach or an oyster bar.

I did soak my shells in freshwater for several days to try to remove as much
salt as possible. I then drilled a small hole in the hinge end of each shell
half and threaded them with galvanized wire (the kind used for electric
fences). The wire was a heavy enough gauge to stick into the ground, but I
think they would do better wired to a good sized metal spike.

I'm not sure that these shells would effect soil pH significantly enough to
be harmful to acid loving irises.  That's another test.