Re: suggestion to list operator

I have noted the occasional suggestions to the list operator and would like
add my own suggestion.

This list has been invaluable to me as a lover and grower (but not breeder)
of irises.  But at times, the volume of mail during the day is large to say
the least and has almost caused me to leave the list because of the computer
time it ties up for downloads.

I would like to propose to Tom that he use software that manages receipt and
resending of mail. I belong to another news group for a certain health topic
which uses this management tool quite effectively.

There is a counterpart to Tom and she collects all mail sent to the list
during a twenty four hour period and resends it out to list members as a
single daily letter with each individual piece of correspondance listed as a
"topic."  If there are occasions when a single topic draws a lot of
discussion or the volume of mail is exceptional, she send's out "special
editions."

For us AOL members where there is a letter size problem, the daily letter is
sent in an abbreviated form with the main letter attached as a downloadable
compressed format document.

This other list to which I belong has worldwide membership and as extensive a
roster as Iris-l.  I know there is some advantage in "currency" of a letter
and I am struck by how quickly some letters from one member receive a
response from another.  But very little of what I read couldn't wait until
the next morning for one download.  Please accept this suggestion as a
constructive one, not a complaint.  Tom, if you want the name and email
address of this other list, please email me directly.