Sunday morning paper -- CLARENCE!!

Went to the deck with the Sunday paper and there on the front page of the
LOCAL section is  a colored photo of Clarence Mahan, clipboard and pen at
the ready, judging the first ever Western New York Japanese Iris Show at
Johnson's Nursery in East Aurora, NY.  And don't I see KathyGuest's seedlings
that we judged as best seedlings -- that great tall sturdy one that stands up
and out -- and aren't Dorothy Fingerhood's Queen of the Show, First and (also)
Second runners-up among those in the photo??

A great day!! A great long day that was still going strong when I left the
picnic looking back at Clarence holding court with Chris Hollingshead from
Canada, Glenn Proctor-John from Australia, Tony and Dorothy Willott (Dorothy
judged with Clarence and me) from Ohio, Don and Bettie Nutter from  Pennsylvania Dorothy Fingerhood from Southern Tier Area Iris SocietyNY and Wendy Roller
from Rochester, NY had hit the road.

Anna Rettig and Clarence demonstrated pollination techniques. We heard that
Japanese Iris are viewed from hillside or high terraces in Japan.  We learned
the great deceased and living Japanese hybridizers.

We discussed changing the soil every four years or so.

The amazing thing about Clarence is that he has great experience and doesn't
forget to talk about the details -- he made sure that everyone knows what to
do with the seeds when the pollination "takes".  And makes sure everyone
participates in all the discussions in a quiet unassuming way.  You're a
National Treasure, Clarence and I thank you some more for being among us!

Carolyn Schaffner in balmy Buffalo, NY

PS.  Thanks to KathyGuest for orchestrating this day, to Dorothy Fingerhood for
bringing such prizes to WNYIS, to Chris H for making the trek, to Glenn P-J,
not of this LISTS, for sailing our way, and to the Willots and Nutters, also
not of this LIST for their expertise, also.  wonnerful wonnerful wonnerful