Re: packing technique for beardless iris

Carolyn, I'll add my 2 cents worth on this topic.  Beardless irises are a bit
more effort to pack than are bearded irises.  They must have their rhizomes
kept in water until ready to pack.  I wrap the rhisomes and roots in wet
newspaper, put in a baggie, and tie the baggie with plastic twist'ems half
way up the leaves. I turn them upside down and let drain for several hours so
excess water drains off.  Then I roll the iris in newspaper, and put into a
box...etc, etc.  I normally ship priority mail in the U.S., and express mail
for delivery overseas.  I have never had a problem with the condition the
beardless irises were in when they arrived, and have received lots of letters
telling me how great they looked.  (I used to have problems with the
condition irises were in when shipping to Canada but this was because of
Canadian plant inspectors who would unwrap the irises and then just throw
them, unwraped back into the package...but now that Canada has changed its
rules, that problem seems to have disappeared!)

Just to keep our Canadian friends from being offended, I have also had a
problem with receiving plants that have to be inspected when coming in the
mail to the U.S. (Fortunately irises do not have to be inspected!).  I once
received a large box of astilbes from England that had been inspected at the
port of entry in NJ, and the inspectors just threw the astibles back into the
box...so they were all dried and dead looking upon arrival.  I was going to
throw them away, but my wife made me soak them in water over night and plant
them....everyone (about 30) LIVED! Moral: my wife is wiser than me.  Clarence
Mahan in VA