Re: packing technique for beardless iris

Clarence -- thanks for the info on shipping techniques.  Mine went into water
for a couple of days, and then into the soil which I tried to keep moist,
which was no problem up until this week.  Only one of the five shows real
promise.  I took up three of them and put them in pots.  Today, all the foliage
of one fell off, and I dug it up to find some roots.

They are doing the Bruce H. dance in the old dishpan (perhaps it's the lack
of colorful design in the child's pool??) I found a borer in one of them
the other week and sprayed with cygon.. what do you suppose is going on??
Will the foliage-less rhizome which does have some white roots carry on??
What sort of soil should be in those pots?? Should I increase the sand for
better drainage??? Fertilizer??  Gosh, I hate seeing my $$$ disintegrate --
and since I have one of the five growing great guns with no extra attention,
only 10 inches from another, I can't figure it.

In shipping, I wonder if it is just as important to keep the foliage damp, or
evenly moist as newspaper would provide since a lot of moisture is in that
foliage...

So my question about shipping leads to care upon arrival --

Carolyn Schaffner -- perplexed in Balmy Buffalo, NY