Digging bearded iris

Sorry I forgot to sign the first time I sent this message.

Donald Mosser
North Augusta, SC

I have a question regarding digging and dividing of bearded irises.  I
recently  (exactly one week ago) bought some TB's from a local grower.  I
meticulously cleaned, clipped and washed them and then set them in a
cardboard box on top of the refrigerator to dry.  It was three days before I
planted the first ones and I just planted the last ones.

Here's my question: How long can bearded irises remain out of the ground
after digging before there are adverse effects?  Assuming cool(~75 degrees
F, this is cool in the Southern U. S. summers!), dry, indoor storage conditions.

BTW, Clarence, I got a good deal on a three fan division of BEFORE THE STORM
- $2.00.  The seller said that it wasn't a good grower for him.  Me thinks
he doesn't pamper his plants with water and fish emulsion like I do.  He
told me that they (TB irises) don't like a lot of water.  All I know is that
mine are still green and tall and his are short, bleached and getting brown