Re: Irises for northern MN

In a message dated 96-07-07 21:47:43 EDT, Scott Aitken wrote:

> Part of the trick is just protecting them in winter -- and
>especially when you get freezing and thawing in spring. This is probably
>more important than who you buy the irises from.

Scott may be correct in this observation, but one reason I suggest people who
are relatively new to irises to try to buy some from local dealers is that
one can be relatively sure that the cultivars sold locally also perform
fairly good locally.  In Minnesota, if you do not know about local iris clubs
and sales, contact your American Iris Society RVP who is a delightful
lady...Mickey Giefer...contact me by private Email: CEMAHAN@aol.com....and I
will give you her address and phone number.  Clarence Mahan in Virginia.