Nz Native Iris

Hi To all
Many have replied to my question on growing Lousiana's from seed, I thank
you for your replies both here & privately. Many questions were asked about
New Zealand growing conditions so I thought I'd post the answers to the list
so here goes:

Here in NZ we have a native iris called Libertia Ixiodies it grows to 60cm
high in semi shade to full sun with panciles of saucer shaped white flowers
in the summer followed by seed pods.  It has a grass like dark green leaves
turning Orange/ brown in winter.

I have it here & it never fails to flower & multiplies rapidly.Victoria
Falls Does not fall over here.  Some of my Tall's get flower spikes over a
metre high. Wedding Vow, Song of Norway, Foaming Seas, High Water get the
tallest. Is this common or is it just our growing conditions?

At the moment our temperature goes below 0 at night & warms to between 7 to
10 during the day.  The frost can hang around all day.

I grow all my iris in beds covered in bark & have no problems with rot or
borer. I only spray once a year (shortly) with Copper Oxide for a general
clean up.
The soil here is very very good a nice rich black colour with a peat layer
down a couple of metres.  Most things I plant double their recommended
heights within 7 years.

Gardening in NZ is almost a national pastime as most NZer's have a section
that allows for a garden.  NZer's are like all those other gardeners in the
world with this same disease.  They are only too happy to lend a hand or
give a cuttiong away to a beginner.  Although I must admit my friends are
standing in a line for some pieces of my iris.( they are getting hooked)

Well I've Rambled Enough For This  Message So Good Bye From ME
Cheers Sonya
mcsmudh@wave.co.nz