Re: moles-voles

7/5/96   8:17 P.M.

Ellen,

Your wrote ...................

"She has a nursery in Vermont and it seems to be going okay for
	her....I don't know what chemicals moth balls are made of and
	this is just hearsay (since I never have done it) but I guess
	it doesn't harm the iris.(?)"

Moth balls work well to keep the moles, etc. out of irises, but one
should be careful not to place them where the chemical matter can seep
into wells. I can't remember the chemical name either, but I know it can
be harmful if consumed in drinking water. Raccoons do not like mothballs
either. Placed moth balls around new daylily plants, and the raccoons
stopped digging them up. The raccoons were after the alfalfa pellets
that I used as a soil amendment.

Ted White
Minot, ME
USDA Zone 5