Re: Great Pyrenees as Gardener

Sharon McAllister wrote:

>It's a BIG dog.  About the size of a St. Bernard, but white.  Bred for herding
>sheep, but instinctively "herds" anything that moves.  Gentle enough to be
>trusted with the baby lambs.  Fierce enough to protect them from predators.

Pyrs are great dogs...and a family friend who has marvelous gardens and
many, many iris in the middle of deer country in the Hill County of Texas
has two Pyrs whose sole mission in life is to keep the deer, jackrabbits,
and other "pests" out of the iris, the roses, etc., etc.

It works like a charm. My parents also live in the Hill Country and kept the
deer at bay until their Bouvier (another big herding breed) died last year.

The dogs don't hurt the deer; they just herd them away from the middle of
your flower beds. A deer will eat anything...including iris...if they are
hungry enough.

My Bouv doesn't have deer to ward off, and he's very fond of an protective
of a family of rabbits that lives in thew woods behind my house. Rabbits
never bother the iris or much of anything; one of my neighbor feeds them
about three pounds of saltine crackers a day...talk about benevolent "pest"
control!

Catharine