Re: Planting times

Kathy writes

:Chris:  this is a problem we share... siberians planted late in the season
:here, will most surely die or, at best, sulk.  I try to order from those who
:offer spring shipping... and (because I'm a meddler), I've tried to convince
:others to OFFER spring shipping.

Good for you! I think that for many perennials (not just SIs), the choice of
spring or fall planting depends almost entirely on the grower's climate.

Here's Tom's rule of thumb: if your winters kill more plants than your
summers do, plant in the spring. If the reverse is true, plant in the fall!
If your one of the lucky few with neither summer nor winter fatalities,
you can plant whenever you please.

The dividing line seems to be somewhere around zone 6 or zone 7.

This may not seem very profound advice, but it took moving from a killer
summer climate (southern New Mexico) to a killer winter climate (northern
New Mexico) for me to get the message.

Happy irising, Tom.