Deer problems

     Help!  I have a significant rodent problem, which I strongly suspect
     is deer.  In the past couple of months I have lost:
     -  iris (stalks eaten, usually just days before blooming, leaving fans
         more or less intact)
     -  several young azalea (pulled out of the ground and munched on)
     -  hosta (all leaves eaten down to the stems)
     -  daylilies and oriental lilies (foliage eaten to the ground),
     This is SO depressing!  I live on the edge of a wooded park where we
     see deer daily.  I've never seen rabbits in the area, so I'm pretty
     sure that I have found the culprit, but have never caught them in the
     act of destruction.
     Any suggestions for keeping the deer away? I hate to use nets and
     cages over the plants; does anyone have any favorite repellents or
     other tricks?
     Karin Richardson
     Oakton, VA