Navajo Jewel

7/2/96      2:28 P.M.

Hello Everyone,

Linda Mann writes, "Anybody know why Navajo Jewel dropped from 20th to
100th in one year?"

Linda: Navajo Jewel is a gorgeously ruffled, light blue iris that is
stunning when it's grown well. I suspect that its drop from 20th to
100th may have something to do with its actual garden performance. I
have tried to establish NJ on four different occasions, and failed every
time. I wondered if I might be the only one having trouble with NJ. After
talking with several other irisarians, I discovered that NJ did not grow
well in many places. Sometimes, I think the Symposium Balloting
is not all that it may seem to be. We would all like to think that those
irises listed each year are the result of observations of these irises in
our own gardens. I'm afraid that some people have seen irises at
conventions that really impress them, and vote for them whether they
have seen the iris grow in a climate that approximates their own. It
just may be that in Navajo Jewel's case, many people are finding it
difficult to grow outside of its native California home.

Ted White        Minot, Maine          USDA Zone 5        AIS Region 1